Thursday, April 11, 2013

Shaping Die Punch Flowers


Before buying my Silhouette SD digital die cutter, I bought die punches like these. I toyed with giving them away, but now I'm really happy I didn't.



I shudder to waste paper scraps and want to use every inch of it before tossing it out (see my post on How to Use up Scrap paper). Using these die punches was easier and faster than trying to register the exact placement needed on my Silhouette. However, I still used the Silhouette to cut my cherry blossoms (middle punch) because I wanted the cup the petals more readily.


Top left: If using a cherry blossom die punch, snip in between the petals to make them easier for cupping.

Top right: This blossom is cut from my die cutter - see the deeper gaps between petals? I used a burnisher and rubbed the petals against a mouse pad. For those who have a digital die cutter, here is the cherry blossom I made in SVG, DXF and PDF format.

Bottom left: Continue rubbing into the center to make a small bud.

Bottom right: If you want the blossom to stay open, flip it over and poke a smaller burnisher into the middle, then add dots with a felt marker to represent the stamens.

I then used them to decorate this 3D cake card.


8 comments:

  1. very pretty flowers, they look good on the cake !!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! Yes, I was thrilled when I realized they were just the right size. Isn't that the best? When it works out as if you planned it all along. :D

      Delete
  2. Cecelia, this is beautiful!! Love your flowers and quilling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for giving me the inspiration Michelle. I imagined it immediately after seeing yours.

      Delete
  3. Saw your link on the Ingenious Inkling blog. TFS the tutorial. I adore the adorned b.d. cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment Gabby! Now I gotta check out another site!

      Cecelia

      Delete
  4. Thanks Kelly! Aren't they addictive? "just one more, ok one more..."

    ReplyDelete