Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Mysterious Stationery Box, All Things Paper


Open, says me! I can finally open up and share more about my Mysterious Stationery Box, which was included in Ann Martin's wonderful book, All Things Paper. Being the eagle-eyed blogger she is, Ann was able to call upon creatives all around the world who work with paper, and showcase just how versatile paper can be.

My project is based on a common Japanese box (Karakuri Bako), which is traditionally made of wood and fabric to hold jewelry in evenly divided compartments. The mystery behind it is how the lid is double-hinged, allowing it to reveal the main compartment (above), and the smaller side compartments (below).


I make the lid stay closed snugly by gluing panels that just friction-fit within the compartment. I shot a video showing how it works that I hope Tuttle will show it soon on their site. This isn't the first time making this box - actually I made it as my grad project while attending Emily Carr College so many years ago. I didn't have money to buy the best materials back then, so when Ann asked me to create this project, I have to admit I was eager to re-do it with proper materials.


Lineco Binder Board did exactly as advertised. Lineco's board scared me at first because after applying glue to most of the surface, it did bow, but flattened itself out as it dried (I used to apply Lineco glue to matte board, then pile on phone books and wait overnight).

In the photo below I'm protecting the compartment with scrap paper while applying glue to a tab with a brush, another splurge since college and one that I was so pleased with because it allowed me to control the amount of glue better than spreading with a credit card. The Japanese patterned paper is made by hand and I was assured it will not tear even with repeated use because of its long fibers.

This project can be daunting for beginners, but I hope it inspires you to look at paper as a strong structural component to your creations.


Another project in this book that caught my eye immediately was Allison Patrick's Phone Book Letter Holder. I love how she's given the diminished Yellow Pages a new life. Simple yet stylish, using materials around the house - my favorite combo.

Want to win your own book? Simply visit Ann's giveaway post!

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful for you to be featured in Ann's book. your project looks so good. Hope to get the book soon to know all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suganthi. Yes, I'm honored to have been asked to join such a talented group!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for your post, Cecelia. What a pleasure it was to work with you on the book. Your clever box and attention to detail are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you Ann. I knew I was in good hands working with you. It was my privilege – thank so much for all your hard work and ensuring it was smooth sailing for me.

      Delete